Saturday, December 3, 2011

Nice to have roots---wonder where to go next

Yesterday I saw whale spray in the horizon! I have to watch more often, in the hopes that I will see this: We must go on a whale watch before we leave Sayulita.

We have been in Sayulita for 5 nights now. We love it here. It is pricier in a lot of ways than the other coastal towns we visited; however, when you compare the prices to Canada and the U.S., it is silly to even think of it as expensive. The campground itself is less than it was in La Penita and Guayabitos. 250 Pesos per night...13 pesos = 1 dollar . We can eat a delicious Mexican dinner for 30 - 40 pesos each, and if we cook it ourselves much less. It is hard not to go downtown for tacos, enchilladas, burritos or quesidillas, because it is so easy to justify the cost when comparing it to cooking our own food at home.

This town is a tourist destination, but the real Mexican experience is only a few blocks away.

Last night, being Friday night was busy here indeed. The inland Mexicans come to the beach in droves on the weekends. Music, dancing, partying, laughing....it was delightful until about 1:00 a.m., when I was really wishing I could sleep through it. It was quiet by about 3ish, and I managed to get plenty of sleep.

We haven't decided if we are going to stay here until we come home for Christmas, or if we will Turtle on down the Road -- perhaps inland for a few days between now and then. We are paid up until December 6th, leaving us with 9 days as yet undetermined. It's nice to have roots....but I am feeling the pull of curiousity.

Yesterday, I had a nasty headache, I think I may have dehydrated a bit the previous two days. I will be more careful to make sure I always have water with me on walks. Today, my headache is gone, but I think I may be coming down with a bit of a cold, so I am staying in bed today. I don't want to take any chances with my health.....my own doctor is too far away.

We didn't take a single picture yesterday! Wow!

Gerry is down with another migraine today...was up all night again last night. It is a bad one. We sometimes think of this journey as a vacation, but truly, it is a lifestyle change. The cold of winter is especially hard on Gerry with his pain disorder. We had noticed his migraines to be less frequent and for the most part to last shorter periods of time in the warmth. Summer in Canada was much better than winter in Canada.

The improvement still leaves much to be desired. It seems he may be down to one 2-day migraine per week, and 2 or 3 one day migraines per week. He has had several two day periods migraine free, which is rare at home. He also seems to recover a little faster. The increase in migraine free moments serves to remind him that he suffers from a pain disorder that includes the rest of his body though. Depression lurks around every corner of every migraine....but here....he seems so much happier.

I find myself missing home, and mostly missing my loved ones. Family and friends are truly life's most precious gifts. Of course we can make friends here, but true deep bonds take time and new friends never replace old ones. And of course, nothing can replace family. I love you all and can't wait to come home for Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you missing your family!!!!!We are in La Cruz right now going home for christmas and back Jan. Last April we were in Bucerias for a month and I didn't think I'd make it a month, I was so homesick for grandkids etc!!!!However it seems to get easier as time passes...thank goodness...so hang in there!!!!Marilyn & Stan (Thunder Bay, Ontario)

    ReplyDelete